miércoles, 19 de junio de 2019

TBR Challenge: ‘WILDE IN LOVE’, by Eloisa James




The topic of this month is Historical

Published: Nov-2017
Genre: historical
My Rating: two stars
Part of a Series: Wildes of Lindow Castle #2


Historical novels are one of my favourite genres. Therefore, I had several novels in my TBR pile.


I have already read three books written by Eloisa James. I rated with four stars both ‘Three Weeks With Lady X’ and ‘When Beauty Tamed the Beast’. ‘A duke of her own’ was a three-stars reading.

Therefore, I chose a book that it does not belong to one of my favourite authors, but it could be a nice reading.

The main male character is Lord Alaric Wilde, son of the Duke of Lindow. He is a very famous explorer. The books about his adventures all around the world are best-sellers. There is even a play about him that is a great success. So women and girls in England consider him a celebrity, have his portrait or prints about him at home.

When Alaric goes back to England, after years abroad, he is rather surprised to see his fame. In addition, he feels very uncomfortable. He did not want anything like that!

He goes to his family’s castle, Lindow Castle, for a party. There he meets Miss Willa Ffynche, a beautiful young woman who is the toast of the Season. She has many beaus, but has given her heart to none of them. She is an orphan, and quite a private person. She prefers reading in solitude, and talk to her best friend, Lavinia.

She is also one of the few female in the entire kingdom who has not read Alaric’s books or seen that awful play. Perhaps that is what attracts Alaric. She is witty, reserved, beautiful, not someone who will adore him but rather be a good friend. Moreover, he obviously lusts for her from the beginning.

It is rather soon in the book when Alaric makes up his mind about staying in England and marrying the perfect woman, Willa. However, she has other ideas, because although she also wants to marry, she does not want to be with a celebrity. She does not want her life to be in the newspapers.

The attraction is something both of them feel. Nevertheless, Willa has very clear ideas. It does not matter that Alaric is sexy, and cultivated, and very friendly, she could not live with his fame all around them. Of course, that does not prevent her from kissing him once and again, because he is a great kisser. That is the conflict, and it is clear even before the middle of the book –how is Alaric going to convince her that he is perfect for her, as he considers her his perfect match.

There is not much more in this book. The characters are nice, but nothing special. The argument, nearly non-existent. The setting, a very trite party in a Georgian mansion in the country. Yes, it is well written, but I have to recognize that this was quite a boring reading for me.

I just cannot believe this was one of the best books of the year 2017. I have read wonderful reviews. I thought there was something special in this book. However, it fell flat with me.

There are good things, like the dry humour of Lady Knowe, Alaric’s aunt, as well as the sexy scenes, which are wonderful, although when they came, I had already lost my interest in the story.

As the first book in a series, it also spent a lot of time on the page dedicated to other characters that were going to have their own story in the future. For instance, North, Alaric’s brother, and his reluctant fiancée; also, Lavinia, Willa’s friend, and Parth, a very rich man without a title, whose antagonism clearly shows you an enemies to lovers story.

It was a book like one of those written by Julia Quinn or Tessa Dare, other authors I just do not get. And I think that my problem with this book is the same as the books of Quinn and Dare. They try to be witty and funny, and I just do not get their sense of humour.

This is not the kind of historical book I enjoy. It sounded so silly in many moments…!

It is not that I prefer angsty or dramatic books. No, I can enjoy light and witty historicals, like those written by Georgette Heyer, or Loretta Chase, and some books of Jo Beverley have got that sense or enjoyment and lust for life and not taking oneself very seriously. This book is nothing like those.

Therefore, I guess I have to accept that this is one of those well beloved authors that I just cannot connect with. I have enjoyed some of her books, so it looks like she is a hit or miss for me. I do not pretend my opinion or my experience to be the only one because, as I have already told you, many people enjoyed this book. However, what I tell here is my experience, not anybody else’s.

I guess I will keep on reading Eloisa James’ books, but I’ll try not to have high expectations, because she does not write the kind of historical book that I really enjoy.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario